Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cooking - so in my league

Fejioa and Poppy Seed Muffins
I have a theory about art, craft, cooking and baking, because, to be honest, I'm a far better cook than a crafter, and the foodie in me loves food analogies. I think baking is to craft as cooking is to art - that is when you craft/sew, you need to be precise and follow the directions, where when you do art (and cook), there are basics you stick to (like don't put avocado in a roast), but creativity flows differently... of course I may change my mind if I ever get to be a better crafter!

So after exposing my sewing disasters, I thought I'd share my mini-triumphs - like getting the kids to bed and sleep by 7pm! But in particular, what gives me a lot of joy is cooking, baking and sharing with those I love. Thankfully Mr T is a true food appreciator, as are the kids!

Five Seed Bread

Today I tried out two new recipes: Fejioa and Poppy Seed Muffins (Jo Seagar in April Issue of Australian Women's Weekly (AWW) and 5 Seed Bread (Alison Holst, AWW July 2010). Absolutely divine! The muffins have a lovely lemony tang (Master A ate two, but not to Ms K's liking). As you can see from the pictures, the bread was popular. It was a perfect compliment to my pumpkin, carrot and kumara soup (which went an interesting tinge of purple due to the organic kumara!).

No comments: