Eczema update... since that last posting in July there have been lots of changes in our house to address Miss K's eczema. These include:
- Allergy-free mattress and pillow protectors
- De-cluttering the bedroom (as much as possible, Miss K was definitely a squirrel in a previous life, but we've taken out books, toys and dust collectors)
- Homeopathic remedies
- Dairy free
- Wheat free
- Oat baths alternated with simple water baths
- Wet wrapping (tubifasts) - we did this until last week and have finally been able to put them away
- Use of just two skin products - the prescribed emulsifying ointment (at least 2 -3 times a day) and Mebo (for itches)
- Allergy prick test at Hutt hospital - 19 pricks and nothing tested suggested an allergy. We were reminded that this doesn't account for 'intolerances' or other triggers (not tested).
The change in diet has not been without its challenges, but I'm embracing this new adventure in cooking. Some things have turned out well, others well... there's crafting catastrophes and baking botch ups!
So for fellow dairy-free and gluten-free (d/f and g/f) I'll start posting my success stories. I know how sometimes inspiration is needed for cooking (especially for wee ones and growing families). Old hands at d/f&g/f know that it can be yummy - newbies, like me might need encouragement; tonight I bring you:
Avocado & salmon spaghetti - 2 adults, 2 children
This dish is super easy and can be whipped up and on the table in about 20 minutes! I would have added a photo but it was eaten too fast!
- In a bowl mash one ripe avocado with approx half a punnet of soy cream cheese (you can add more for bigger quantities). Squeeze in a small quantity of lemon juice and put to one side.
- Cook your pasta (g/f or normal - I use ordinary spaghetti for everyone except Miss K who has gluten free - yes too pots of spaghetti, but it's ok and more cost effective)
- When there is about 4 minutes to go on cooking your pasta, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan
- Toss in the avocado/cream cheese mix and stir till just heated
- Break up a fillet of hot or cold smoked salmon and add to sauce.
- Drain pasta and place on plate
- Put salmon/avocado sauce on top of each pile of pasta (will be quite thick)
- Garnish with lemon rind and/or sun dried tomatoes.
I'll be adding a scrumy brownie recipe and my g/f muesli in a few days! Let me know your thoughts.